Thread: Value of: Phil Kessel for Corey Perry?
View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 12:06 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Parise and Suter weren't traded because their teams **** up.

There's nothing wrong with giving up 1sts and more for rental players. The picks are generally in the bottom 3rd, which is something like a 40% chance at a top 6 forward/top 4 defenceman. You get a shot at a playoff run, and the edge on resigning the player. But, when a guy has been with your team for years, and flat-out refuses to resign prior to the deadline, there's not much value in that edge on resigning the player to you.

Given Anaheim's situation, they can't afford to do it. Their fanbase is fragile. They come and go as does the success of the team. They saw what happened with Nashville last year, and unlike the Preds, both of these guys are unrestricted. If the Ducks trade Perry and bring in a talent like Kessel, they'll show Getzlaf that they're still committed to winning. If they trade him for picks, that obviously sends a different message. If they do nothing at all, it probably sends an even worse message -- that we've given no thought to being a cup contending team for the years that we want you to committ to staying in Anaheim.
okay, so according to you, which team hasn't "**** up" when dealing with their upcoming UFAs?

Can you give me any examples of any team in a playoff position that did what you're suggesting they should do? Give me a single example of a team in a playoff position that dealt their star or impact player who was heading to FA when their team was in a playoff position?

Or do you think that no teams out there, ever, know what they're doing and they're all "******* up", while you're the only bright individual that has considered all factors, including playoff revenue impact to ownership, and are just smarter than all the GMs that have run teams in the NHL?

Again, give me an example of a team that did it the way you're suggesting should be done - while being in a playoff position, they dealt their star or impact soon to be UFA to get something for them instead of seeing them walk in FA. Parise and Suter aren't the only examples, as we see star UFAs on the market in any given year. So I guess all these teams are idiots and ownerships around the league should be lining up to offer you a job?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote