View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
If Bylsma even sniffed Badger Bob's clipboard, I'd agree with you.
That's not an argument, UB.

First, their relative quality isn't the point - their styles are. I'm trying to show that you can be a great coach without being a reviled totalitarian.

Second, even if relative quality was the point, there's nothing Johnson achieved in the NHL that Bylsma hasn't.

Quote:
Everyone wants to point out Therrien's move of Orpik to forward, but they forget when he did the same with Whitney. After it happened Whitney played exceptionally well.
Well, it must be a shrewd coaching decision to move struggling established defensive defensemen to forward, then. I wonder how it would be received here if Bylsma did it.

Quote:
Coaches like Therrien absolutely have a shorter shelf life, but again that's due to entitled athletes these days. Guys like Therrien, Hitchcock, Keenan, and Bowman are all cut from the same cloth even though they're not all the same caliber. At the same time they've all gotten great results from rosters that didn't have the two best players in the world to overcome a lot of hardship they'd otherwise have.
And coaches like Bylsma and Johnson got results using a different method, without severing relations with their players.

Quote:
When they started sliding under Therrien they had significant injuries and no point presence on the PP. He also juggled lines to a maddening degree, which Bylsma does anyways, and our only discipline problem was a too many men on the ice call every 8-10 games. In all seriousness, maybe I'm just revising history though. That's how I remember it though, and I also remember a much more consistent Malkin.
Oh right, because Bylsma's never had to deal with injuries or the lack of a point presence. It was painfully obvious that the team simply was not dedicated to playing under Therrien at the end of his tenure.

And for the record, Malkin was a better, more consistent player last year than he ever was under Therrien. It's not the coach's fault every time a player falters any more than it's to the coach's credit every time a player thrives.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote