Thread: Proposal: Ott - cbj
View Single Post
03-02-2013, 12:54 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Steve Mason
Sergei Bobrovsky
Oscar Dansk (2012 2nd round pick, 31st overall)
Joonas Korpisalo (2012 3rd round pick, 62nd overall)

In a first round deep with talent, I doubt they're looking to trade a 1st for a goalie unless he's a proven starter.They used their 2nd and 3rd round picks in last year's draft on goalies and they acquired one before the draft.
I agree, Columbus needs to stop with acquiring young unproven goalies with potential and hoping for the best. Obviously some few goalies would be exempted from this rule but I don't think Bishop is one of them.

Steve Mason - He got a new contract in hopes that he would bounce back. Failed although kind of looks ok this year. Not good enough to be the full time starter and I can see them letting him go after this season.

Mark Dekanich - Signed as a UFA to challenge Mason. Got injured in pre season. Went to the AHL, did poorly and then got injured again. Never had his shot with Columbus but assuming it would have gone poorly based on his current and last years AHL stats.

Sergei Bobrovsky - Acquired in a trade. Sometimes looks good and sometime looks bad. Not good enough to steal games from Mason and become a full time starter.

I wouldn't mind Bishop(not for a first) if the plan was to get rid of both Mason/Bob and acquire a veteran number 1 goalie. Then have Bishop playing as the backup and then take over as the number 1 once the veteran starter is no longer needed. But if that were to happen, I would rather keep the assets that it would take to acquire Bishop and have Bob as the backup and learn from the veteran. Then hope Bob is ready for the number 1 job in a couple of years.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote