Thread: Salary Cap: The Free Agents
View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 01:44 PM
topnotch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
They have after this season AND next season to use the two buyouts. Some teams are going to be in "cap hell" and there will be opportunities to really use buyouts in more creative ways. I don't want both buyouts burned unless it's going to be done to make room for a forward that would be considered the 4th or 5th best on the team at least.

If there is good reason to believe that Montador's career is not in jeopardy, I don't think his cap hit (in relation to real value) is big enough to justify buying him out unless a very big opportunity presents itself. If he gets another concussion he goes to LTIR and he will not significantly hinder player movement. If not, his contract will have value one way or the other since his salary is significantly lower than his cap hit to finish his contract.

Anyway, I want them to save the buyout for the sake of a high end opportunity, not just to retain a bottom 6 forward. I don't see them being able to land any of the big pending UFAs this year.
Are you suggesting the Hawks trade for players just to buy them out? I didn't think the CBA allowed for that. Even if it does, I HIGHLY doubt the Hawks brass will sign off on that when there are two perfectly good candidates (Montador, Olesz) for buyouts on the Hawks roster currently.

The theory of poorer teams trading for high cap, low salary players just to make the cap floor just doesn't pan out in real life. There are usually good enough players on the UFA market for teams to spend their money. Also with the lowering of the cap AND the floor I doubt many teams are struggling to hit the floor.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote