View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Drafting for size in the top 2 rounds is a huge mistake, unless you feel that the prospects are equal in all other areas. We Oilers fans will never forget when Edmonton could have picked Parise, but did not like his size, so traded the pick to NJ, and we later drafted Pouliot...

Even last year, we went with Moroz when Collberg was sitting right there behind him, because they want size. I think they will regret that.
Yes, the old Hugh Jessiman theory ... I wonder if the Rangers are still happy with that pick?

I can speak for Hunter Shinkaruk a little bit, as I know exactly what he can bring. The most important thing to remember is that, yes, Patrick Kane scored a huge number more points than Shinkaruk did, however the Medicine Hat Tigers are on pace to score roughly 70-75 fewer goals than Kane's London Knights did in his draft year. The Knights that year also had a team that featured Sergei Kostitsyn, Sam Gagner, and a number of solid OHL veterans; a very successful team overall. The Tigers this year are really a bottom of the pack team that has played above its own level. I don't like to compare Shinkaruk to Patrick Kane as much as I like to compare him to Jordan Eberle. His offensive vision is right up there with some of the best in the business, and his work ethic is second to none. Eberle was overlooked by most teams in his draft year for many of the same reasons that Shinkaruk is being moved down lists.

Find a way to get MacKinnon and Shinkaruk at the draft, and watch how much quicker the rebuild goes.