View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 03:37 PM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Good question. I don't ever remember him being a shot-blocking guy, and now he's trying it, and looks ridiculous doing so. He's just getting hurt and/or screening the goalie. What concerns me is that Quinn or Sacco is telling these guys to fall back and block shots instead of charging into the corners and knocking the guy off the puck. Maybe now that we have the team's best takeaway guy back Sacco will lean more toward a puck-possession game and quit this collapsing-toward-the-net, shot-blocking garbage.

Plainly put, he just looks lost, and I can't help but think he's either injured moreso than the team or him has indicated, or he's being told to change his game in a way that's simply not working.
Are we talking about the same Ryan O'Byrne here?

He does many, many things well below a respectable, NHL level... skating, passing, shooting... but blocking shots? Not only is that one of the only traits that got him to the show, but he is practically in the elite level of shot blockers in the league. He led our team with 141 blocked shots last year. Hejda was second at 134 and Hejda played 7 more games than O'Byrne. He had 50 more blocked shots than our #1 defenseman, Erik Johnson, who logged almost 200 extra more minutes than him.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of his shot blocking skills.