View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Celtic Note
Ugly as Sin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I've seen a few people talking about moving Backes to the wing again this season, really not sure why. His offensive production would likely go up, but he is a far more valuable player to this team at C, even if we bring in another C.

Not worried about the size of Schwartz going forward either. I know the Oilers are pretty soft, but that isn't the only reason he got going last night. Easy to forget that was still only his 24th NHL game and it is going to take some time for him to make the appropriate adjustments in his game to be as effective as possible at his size.
I would never advocate fully moving Backes to the wing. His defensive instincts in the neutral and defensive zone at center are way too valuable. I also agree that even if an top end #1 were to show up, that he should still stay at center. I think this trip will be a big test for Jaden and one I am hopeful he will successfully emerge.

As for the EDM game, the softer play was a factor, the believe the moving up to play with Osh and Backs, plus tehe room given by EDM were bigger factors. That said, as you acknowledged, he has yet to figure out how to to effectively use his size, particularly in the protecting himself department. Until we see that improvement, I suspect he will see better games from Jaden against teams that give room defensively and/are softer. If he can continue to learn how to use his size and gain confidence, that should change. As I alluded to,