View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 05:39 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Oh. My. God. Gulbis wins in three over Haas, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6, and somebody should place Haas on suicide watch. I got to the match midway into the second set with Ernests' forehand self-destructing (6 unforced errors in eight points played during one stretch), and he went down two breaks before getting one back at the end. The third set seemed like a mere formality, especially as Gulbis' forehand woes continued (12 more unforced forehand errors, giving him 20 in the set and a half that I saw). But Tommy couldn't quite finish him despite the fact that Haas was controlling most of the points from the backcourt placing Gulbis in full scramble mode. At 4-4, Gulbis went down 15-40 on serve and recovered; at 5-5 Gulbis went down 0-40 and recovered. Then he opened the breaker with a lovely inside out forehand winner and shortly won an incredible point that included back to back desperate lunges to throw up defensive lobs off Haas overheads, an amazing running recovery to keep the ball in play, and finally the featheriest of drop shots to win the point. Haas only won one point after that.

The forehand remains a problem but the rest of his game looks fine. His serve is hard to handle, now the trick is to get it in more. Looks like he is finally back in the Top 100. He sure stole a match that he deserved to lose, so that should be good for his confidence.