View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 04:58 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
My wish would be to sell the team, but then start up a Canadian equivalent to the US-NTDP, give top 16 and 17 yr old Canadian kids who are considering the NCAA a high level place to play for a couple years until the reach college age. I think a lot of the kids who get drafted at 16 into the OHL almost have to play in the CHL otherwise they have to play down a level for a couple years and stunt their development and head into their NHL draft year playing tier two. Top American kids can play on the U18 team and keep their college eligibility.
Who would they play against? Right now those kids do have the option to play in the OJHL or wherever, but most chose the OHL route. If there were enough players interested in the NCAA route, the quality of players would already exist in the OJHL.

I think the OHL scholarship fund is actually pretty good and allows kids to go to good Canadian schools for basically a full ride. I think the quality of education you can get at top Canadian schools outranks what you can get at most of the US schools that offer out hockey scholarships (obviously Cornell, Harvard etc. excepted).

EDIT: N.B. - It is only their NCAA eligibility that they lose by playing in the CHL, they still have the opportunity to play at Canadian Universities and have their schooling paid for.