View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 05:36 PM
kihei

vCash: 4535

Stoker (2013), directed by Park Chan-Wook: After her father dies in a mysterious accident, India (Mia Wasikowska) discovers that her Uncle Charlie (Matthew Goode), whom she has never met, will be staying for an extended visit with her and her mom (Nicole Kidman). Uncle Charlie is definitely a little on the weird side, but, for that matter, so is India. Stoker seems to want to be a horror movie, but it more closely resembles a suspense movie--what little horror that the movie generates is dealt with in such a matter of fact way that it precludes lasting impact on the audience. The script provides one interesting character, India, but places her in a plot that totally lacks originality. While I was watching the film, its shortcomings didn't bother me because the direction is so eye-catching. Park's movies don't unfold, they flow, and his command of every aspect of the medium is virtuosic in the extreme, though sadly not in service to much of anything in particular this time around. It's a little frustrating to watch a director whose scripts were such strong points in his Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance; Old Boy; Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) use his ultra-elite talent on an uninspired script such as Stoker. Wasikowska, however, deserves credit for doing her best to keep things interesting. She reminds me of a young Isabelle Huppert, and it is fun to watch her emerge as a major talent. An odd sort of movie in the end: disappointing but very watchable in the moment.

Last edited by kihei: 03-02-2013 at 05:48 PM.