View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Who would they play against? Right now those kids do have the option to play in the OJHL or wherever, but most chose the OHL route. If there were enough players interested in the NCAA route, the quality of players would already exist in the OJHL.

I think the OHL scholarship fund is actually pretty good and allows kids to go to good Canadian schools for basically a full ride. I think the quality of education you can get at top Canadian schools outranks what you can get at most of the US schools that offer out hockey scholarships (obviously Cornell, Harvard etc. excepted).

EDIT: N.B. - It is only their NCAA eligibility that they lose by playing in the CHL, they still have the opportunity to play at Canadian Universities and have their schooling paid for.
Difference being that you can play and go to college at the same time in the states. Here, you finish playing in the OHL to get 4-5 years paid for and you're 21 years old heading to college, and will graduate when you're 24-25.

I also think the OHL is in the wrong how it screws over the top players - if you sign a pro-contract than your education package is voided. I think that's bush given you play in the ohl and earn a year of tuition for every year you play in the league - but if a player plays pro than he played for free those four years in the OHL? So the good players, the ones who put the butts in the seats, can't get any special treatment while they're on the team but in reality their teammates who cash in on their scholarships were paid 3-4K a year, whereas the pro-player essentially got nothing? All players get the same coaching and opportunities and perks, but a Kevin Lanoe gets 20K for his time hear, and Adam Henrique got nothing?

Last edited by Ottomatic: 03-02-2013 at 05:46 PM.