Thread: Value of: Ben Eager to the Habs
View Single Post
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
vCash: 500
Eager would not be useful to Montreal because he is not a fighter, has never played a full NHL season, and has never scored more than 18 points in a season. Eager is the definition of a 4th liner who can be replaced by any similar type of player. He is not the same player who played on a Stanley Cup Champioship team. Injuries have taken their toll, and his unwillingness to fight, for whatever reason, truly limits his ability to be effective in his role. The concussion is very worrisome and problematic for a player that has to play a punishing, physical style to be truly effective.

I do not think he is a scrub, but he is a part that is interchangeable with most any other 4th line energy guy. Heck, the fact that he is not the same player he used to be is also a negative. He is not a PK guy, is not a fighter, doesn't produce points, etc... He is a serviceable, and replaceable 4th liner.

He could not get an Eller, a Prust, or a Thrower in a trade. If he continues to be haunted by the concussion, and he shies away from fighting, he could be waived, depending upon his salary and whether or not the Oilers have anyone younger and fresher to take on the role.

I watch LOTS of hockey. Eager has had good moments for the Oilers. He does use his size and makes the Oilers feel bigger, but he has not impressed me with his play. The only guy he could replace on the Habs is Armstrong. Maybe. He will not get an overpayment like some Oiler fans would like. The Oilers keep him, the Habs look elsewhere for what they really need, and we all go home happy without having to insult each other. For those with reading comprehension issues, there is no sarcasm in this post.