View Single Post
Old
03-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

vCash: 500
I can buy that Vokoun is ideally better suited for more games than backup duty - in fact I remember several pointing that out when he was signed.

But the fact is that the way we have been playing defense since the Philly game in particular, but also several games before that, is going to make our goalies look bad more often than not. Or at least their stats will be bad.

I get disappointed with Vokoun when he allows goals such as Gionta's second, and also - albeit less so - when he gave up that rebound for the opening goal, because he should have frozen that.
But the rest are pretty much what it was at Florida. Looking unsteady, but basically very little he can do about the goals. And most of them look exactly like those against Fleury at Carolina. If someone would bother getting those same images for the goals against Vokoun as we had for the four Canes goals, this would be very much evident.

I don't want to paper over the problem or deal differently with Vokoun than last season with Fleury. But I don't think he has given up many BAAAD goals, which Johnson did last year and Fleury in his worst spells give up goals that just makes you want to hurl. Recently Vokoun has 'just' consistently given up (too) many.

...but again.... as long as our top D-men are taking turns having games where they are individually to blame for two to three instances of completely ****ing up their coverage, and we time and again see forwards fail to offer any support (losing their man going to the net), then we are going to keep seeing this. No matter who is in net.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote