Thread: Proposal: Boston/Edmonton
View Single Post
Old
03-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
If I had the concusion problems Horton did the last 2 years {both of which he spent the entire offseason as a huge question mark} then I would be very very very very nervous finishing out this year without a contract in place.

Boston has alot of reasons they cant give him one now {they cant afford it}
Edmonton though is in a better situation for their cap management.

As for Ference. I guess I am assuming as an older player he probably doesnt want to move his family around alot as his career winds down. he will never be more then a 5/6 dman. 5/6 dman get dealt alot in their later years. he is ideally suited to be an Oiler having been born in Edmonton and having family/friends in the area as well as playing for calgary before and being happy there. I think its very possible Ference would give up the option of testing UFA if Edmonton gave him a NTC and a long term deal.

I think Edmonton has plenty of reason to be willing to give Ference a long term deal and a NTC if he agrees to a reasonable cap hit. He will get an A and be a huge part of their leadership restructuring along with the kids once Hemsky/Horcorff are moved out to open the spots up.
Here is a question for you...Would the Bruins deal Horton to Edmonton for Hemsky if the Oilers carried half of the salary?

I ask because this is the part of the deal that makes sense from the Oilers perspective. Of course absent cap issues they don't do this deal. But as it is Horton will be tough to resign without making a fair number of other moves. Hemsky at $2.5M even for one year is a very good asset.

The Bruins have roughly $11M next year to sign 7 players. Assuming Rask gets $5M which is not at all unreasonable for a guy with his numbers, that leaves $6M for 6 slots.

Otherwise, Smid and Paajarvi for Ference and a very late first rounder is a big win for the Bruins. I don't see the Oilers wanting to do as well as exchanging Hemsky and $2.5M in cap space for a player who might well become a UFA if Boston does not sign him.

Last edited by Fourier: 03-03-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote