View Single Post
Old
03-03-2013, 07:59 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

vCash: 500
and while i appreciate you backing up your statements, my argument would be that you're defending the phillies lineup against the nationals/braves as both of those having "performed over their averages" while the phillies struggled and "should get better this year".

the braves and nationals are younger than the phillies, who boast an infield no younger than 33 and entirely relying on guys like rollins and utley getting on base in front of bad players like howard and young^2. the phillies got old quick and don't have the money to get replacements for these guys because they're paying the top three of their rotation 56.5 million dollars this year and their infield 66 million with no quality depth.

depth becomes an issue as the season goes on, when utley gets hurt and freddy galvis is his replacement. that's a drop in obp, which effects howard and young^2's ability to "drive in runs" when there's fewer runs on the board. ben revere is a defense only player and darin ruf is a minor league babe ruth who is 26 and has slugged in mlb...in 37 plate appearances. he's a poor defensive player, which fits in well with the phillies.

i can't get past all that. after their good top three pitchers, they have lannan, kendrick, cloyd, etc. guys who might be #5's pitching in front of a poor defense? not a good recipe. again, they lack the depth of the braves and nationals and i think that's the problem for the phillies in 2013. over 162 games, that'll even itself out.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote