Thread: Options at #1
View Single Post
Old
03-03-2013, 12:47 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
This is not a 1 year rebuild, so you take the best player available. I'm not convinced our defense is as great as some had thought when you consider it has been as good without its "top pair" as it was with them.

That said, while I like Jones and I like his size, I have some concerns. Specifically, guy doesn't use his body enough for a player his size. You are not going to confuse him for Chris Pronger. He's also sometimes reluctant to take a shot. In a game earlier this week, he has a chance to tie the game with the puck on his stick and makes an ill-advised pass. Now, he's young and there is plenty of time to fix these issues, but it is a concern for me. I'd like to see how Jones plays in the playoffs and gauge whether he's going to raise his game to the next level and play with the edge he'll need to in the NHL.

I haven't yet seen enough of MacKinnon. But to take Jones I'd have to feel he was clearly the better overall player.

So, I'm still on the fence, but I don't think we should take MacKinnon simply because we need offense. We're going to be drafting high again next year and we are going to have to make some smart trades and acquisitions to rebuild our mess of a forward core. Rome wasn't built in a day. Hopefully we get a least one forward that can contribute going forward out of this draft, whether at #1/2 or later in the draft.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote