View Single Post
Old
03-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
I think what sets me apart with Bossy is that the man was remarkably consistent. 9 straight years of 50+ goals, peaking at 69. It isn't often that someone has a record Wayne Gretzky even fell short of acheiving. I don't deny Makarov's talent but like I said we SAW what Bossy could do in the best league in the world and we can only speculate what Makarov could do. Also, the postseason is where Bossy shone perhaps even better. 85 playoff goals, good for 6th all-time despite playing less games than everyone above him. 0.65 GPG in the playoffs, bested by only Mario Lemieux.

Could Makarov finish in points like this:
Points - 2, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6
Goals - 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, 7

That's a pretty tall order from a guy who didn't play any better in short top notch tournaments than the guy we are comparing him to. Bossy is a lot like Phil Esposito or any other player who didn't look like Gilbert Perreault on the ice. He was effective and I think sometimes we take marks away from a person like that just because another player may have looked prettier doing it. Bossy still had talent, but he had a nose for the net that was rivaled by few and I'm not even sure Makarov could equal that on a season to season basis.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote