MUTTS AND MONKEYS WORKING OVERTIME

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

(in overtime)
(Series tied 1-1.)

Links:
|> [LS Summary] : [CIS Boxscore]
|> [U of A Linescore] : [reposted at U of S Site] : [and at CW Site]

Mu-u-ucha's shutout string came to an end and Ryan Holfield showed that he could still save his team's mangy hide on occasion. The Monkeys outshot the Mutts 43-29 but could not put them away. Alberta had a 4-2 lead late in the 2nd period. But Sask was able to mount a comeback with late goals in each of the 2nd and 3rd periods, despite being outshot 15-5 in the 3rd. Brennan Bosch notched a hattrick for Sask, including the OT winner.

Game 3 goes Sunday at 7:00 CT (6:00 MT) and is scheduled for CanadaWest.tv.

OUT EAST:

WINDSOR LANCERS 3
WATERLOO WARRIORS 5

(Waterloo wins series 2-0.)

Links:
|> [OUA Game Story]

Since both finalists in the CW and AUS playoffs had berths at the U-Cup sewn up, this series determined the 5th qualifier. And that will be the unheralded Waterloo Warriors. Though a solid 4th, they really weren't a threat to the OUA-W top 3 (Urban Cowboys, Thundermutts, and Windsor). But here they are, a B level team going to the nationals. This is overdue.

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 0
NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 1

(in overtime)
(UNB leads series 1-0.)

Links:
|> [Hockey Scene Story]

Only 1 out of 65 shots found the twine in what must have been a tense encounter. Game 2 goes Tuesday at SMU. I am wondering about motivation for these teams with U-Cup berths already assured. Basically, at the U-Cup the winner of this series will be paired with the loser of the CW final, and vice versa.

UP NEXT:

Sunday, March 3
Saskatchewan at Alberta <CanadaWest.tv>
Carleton at UQTR <no on-line video>

I was wondering about their motivation as well. However, SMU and UNB definitely proved that they weren't just happy to be going to the Nationals. It was very intense playoff hockey. I didn't see Alberta vs Saskathewan but it was nice to see that the Huskies became motivated enough to make the big comeback.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote