Thread: Player Discussion: Chris Kreider
View Single Post
Old
03-03-2013, 03:01 PM
district9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Anisimov got pasted like this once a week and always got up and made plays . Difference being AA was a heady player who thought the game in all 3 zones well. TORTS , assessment of CK is spot on kid has a lot to learn a out being a pro and the game . I always feared he was mentally weak when he repeatedly felt he wasn't ready for pro hockey and wanted the sheltered environs of college. A degree is nice but lets be real if you dream of being a pro hockey player what better route to take then pro hockey. He's two years away if he's ready at all kid is showing bust potential . Reminds me a lot o a Ryan Leaf or Drew Henson . Can't miss size and appeal but missing something .
Mentally weak because he wanted to develop his game? I'm sure the kid knew he was a ways away mentally, and wanted to learn the game a little better. I don't know if the college route was the best plan for him, but I doubt he was scared. He's a hockey player with the physical tools, but has probably been the best player on every team he's ever played for. That's a hard thing for pro athletes in any sport, how do you go from being your team's best player to just another role player? I'm sure Kreider has been trying hard to not make the big time mistake, to be what Torts wants him to be, but isn't playing HIS game.

I DO agree that Kreider stayed one here too long in college, because you could tell by the end of his career there he was almost apathetic towards the game. Watching his junior season he seemed like he knew he was the best player on the ice most nights, and to me it almost seemed like he was bored playing at that level. When he got to the Rangers for the playoffs he was at an emotional high and probably came in feeling like such a superstar that it propelled him to an incredible playoff run.

Also consider conditioning/adjusting to life as a pro. Guys like JT Miller and some of the other young Rangers who went the CHL route were playing long seasons with crazy traveling schedules for years before they even got drafted. Kreider hasn't experienced that until this year. Yeah, for Hagelin and some other guys the adjustment was immediate, but for a lot of college guys it doesn't come as easily.

Talking Ryan Leaf comparisons is just insane dude. Not even close. In 5 year Kreider will be one of this team's best forwards. Right now, he's a young kid who needs to adjust to pro hockey.