Old
03-03-2013, 03:07 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by km204 View Post
@hank

I understand that 2nd rounders are a 50/50, however wouldn't you rather take a chance on a skill guy (Frk) over a grinder like Sutter? If they both have a 50/50 shot, I'd take the guy with the higher ceiling everytime. I feel like if Sutter's last name was anything but Sutter many more people would have hated the pick.
1st rounders are NHL players 50% of the time, 2nd rounders even less. Also, higher ceiling doesn't imply equal shot, in general it means the opposite for players picked in the same round. A physical shutdown guy who knows how to use his size is MUCH more likely to make the NHL than a skilled guy due to the fact he doesn't have to crack the top-6 to be useful.

I'm not arguing that you should draft for bottom-6 needs in the second round but your logic is flawed. It's possible they saw Sutter having some untapped offensive upside or they just didn't like Frk. In the whole size/skill Jets-draft bashing going on here it's worth pointing out that they picked Scheifele over Couturier due to a higher ceiling instead of taking the safer, more bottom-6 ready player.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote