View Single Post
Old
03-03-2013, 04:15 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hutch View Post
There's one main issue I would have over Aquilini(sp?) coming in to Abbotsford. I know it's ownership versus affiliation, but where was this interest when the city was granted the franchise? Canucks turned down affiliation. Heat ownership went with who said yes, which was the Calgary Flames. I don't know the details of why this ridiculous ten year deal was agreed upon, it has cost the taxpayers a lot of money. A lot!

Arguably, the Canucks thinking affiliation in Abbotsford would be "bad for their business" cost the city and it's taxpayers thousands upon thousands of dollars. Now, they may come in 4-5 years later? Of course, they'll be seen as the heroic white knights coming to rescue Abbotsford from the Flames' prospects.

I think attendance would improve, but not to the extent that a lot of people say. Wolves games sell out, but I see a difference between a team coming to town versus a team that's always here. I doubt many people would continue to put their money were their mouths are.
Mostly because the Canucks relationship with the Manitoba Moose arguably was one of the best NHL/AHL relationships out there. There wasn't a need to move to Abbotsford at that time. Besides, who in 2009 would have guessed Winnipeg actually would have a team back in 2 years - it seemed mostly off the radar to be honest.