View Single Post
Old
03-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Latgale_fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
That's simply a wild speculation, which junior player outgrew LAČ and then ended career because of the lack of opportunities. Go and find one! I can easily build a case that playing against pro's at the age of 18 turned Indrašis into what he is today.
It's very hard to answer such questions, as there are a lot of other things we have to take into account- player's own motivation, obstacles etc. And nobody has really ended a career, if we wanted to recreate Latvian league tomorrow with 6 teams, managers would just have to call around- there are numerous players in the leagues around Europe. Latvian league star Želubovskis (btw could be one of such examples) is in Ukraine, eldest Zembergs in British league, Brahmanis in Kazakhstan etc. etc. Another question that can be asked- which of the guys achieved something in hockey from developing in Latvian league? Eldest Džeriņš (Guntis) could be the best case, though something happened with him and his first bright season in Slovakia didn't amount to further development. Cipulis is in KHL only because of Dinamo Rīga. I'd say that Miķelis is a milionaire in Lokomotiv today too because of Dinamo Rīga. It's hard to imagine that somebody would try out a small 24 years old ''nothing that special'' forward from BOL in other KHL teams...

Quote:
Strong Latvian league can easily substitute MHL and turn into something like VHL itself and if some player outgrows the league, then he can join Dinamo in the K. The time saved from not flying around Europe to play Poprads, Chisinau's and Voskresensks could be better used for training.
Of course, but at the moment no one is interested in Latvian league project. And I don't believe Dinamo Rīga killed Latvian league... Did it kill Daugavpils hockey, or hockey in Ogre?? It's interesting to see when these teams disappeared and that happened right when the crisis hit our country... It's terrible to imagine what would happen with all the Meijas, Indrašis and Sotnieks if there was no Dinamo and the league collapsed anyway (as D-pils and Ogre would have no money and you can't play a league with 2-3 teams)

Quote:
So that our most dominant forwards like Homjakovs, Golovkovs, Lipsbergs can taste some pro hockey early just like Swiss kids do, which schooled our team just a week ago.
If you compare our youth development with Switzerland then I have nothing to say... Hey, maybe your next argument will be about how we do not need MHL because Swedes play pro hockey already at this age... or Russians... or Canada. Maybe a better example would be Denmark whose top talent played in pro league last year, they were on average older and we still beat them.

Quote:
Also chance to play in fron of local town could persuade Egle's and Girgensons' of our hockey to stay in country for longer
Egle had all the chances in the world to play in his home town Liepāja. Why did he leave then??

Quote:
so our U18 league doesn't get weaker year by year.
Our U18 league is a joke because we lack players. Because we have (better to say had) just a few hockey schools in year 2002 or so when these kids started to train. This is the reason why it's not that good and even if so Golovkovs came straight from that league (plus Belarus U18) to MHL A and plays solid hockey, so it can prepare players for major junior (which I believe MHL A is).

Quote:
Do Lipmans have the stones to forbid all our teams (maybe except Dinamo) to play abroad and somehow find those missing sponsors and revive hockey in Ogre, D-Pils? Build new rinks in Jurmala, Rezekne, **** anywhere.
As I'm from Rēzekne I can say a rink will be built. Yeah, I know such talks have been around for years but today we have the plan for Olympic center and the municipality has really managed to build some big projects, so I hope the rink will be built along with new stadium etc. If the government backs it, it's also a question. And there is arena in Jūrmala
http://www.sporto.lv/raksts/uz_majoriem_slidot

We can talk about new arenas but there's barely any municipalities left that can support them. Jēkabpils maybe? As I said, Rēzekne has plans... Others are just too small or not wealthy enough. Recently in Volvo arena in Riga there was third rink built and realistically I believe new rinks, except for maybe Jēkabpils and Rēzekne in the current economy can only be built in Riga. After all nowadays metro Riga is about half of Latvia's population (and 2/3 of GDP).

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote