View Single Post
Old
03-03-2013, 08:18 PM
RussianFive
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
CBC will retain the saturday night rights, 2 playoff series per round, one of the conference championships and the finals.

TSN will pick up the rest of the playoffs, retain their current package.

Sportsnet will get a less desirable national deal of some sort maybe Sundays or something along those lines.

That's how it's going to end up.
I can see this being the most likely scenario. Even at a lower cost, the NHL benefits from having CBC on board. As others have said, it enables them to have multiple Canadian bidders, whilst having a regular showcase every Saturday night for the NHL product that will be the centrepiece of an entire network . I think part of the continued success of the NFL for instance is that there are a guaranteed number of NFL games available on free-to-air stations (CBS and Fox) at specific times every Sunday, which keeps the interest of casual fans. It makes sense in that respect for the NHL to continue with CBC. I don't think it makes much sense for the NHL to go down the same route as MLB and have one conference final series being shown on a free-to-air channel and another being shown on cable.