View Single Post
03-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Global Moderator
vCash: 500
Montreal Gazette, April 17, 1967

Carroll speculates that the soft ice in Chicago was actually helping Toronto in their first round playoff series, since it was slowing down the faster Black Hawks.

The column contains a description of the way Imlach was handling Sawchuk and Bower.

It was a very physical series and Bobby Hull was in the middle of it:

There was a lot of hitting in this game, more than in any one game in the series between the Rangers and the Canadians, and there were also quite a few penalties. The Leafs were able to kill them much better than their Chicago rivals. A couple of games back, Imlach blasted Bobby Hull for charging his players. He was asked if this wasn't bad psychology since it might rouse Hull to even greater efforts.

"I don't give a damn about Hull," he shouted. "He'll keep on charging my players because he knows they (the referees) will let him get away with it. I'd do the same thing. I'm making noise because I want it noticed."
More praise for Toronto's penalty killing, which was generally excellent and really a hallmark of that team throughout Punch Imlach's time there.

But what I find most interesting is the part about Bobby Hull. I think it's well known that Hull took it upon himself to batter Borje Salming at the 1976 Canada Cup (for some reason this is often put up on the history board as evidence of Hull's defensive play... which is... odd). But here is Hull doing the same thing in the 1967 playoffs. I don't know if he always did it, but it seems like in big games, Bobby Hull was quite the physical player.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote