View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Maverick41

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius View Post
I'm seriously confused why Niederberger wasn't picked in the last draft... Sure, he's with 5'11''/180cm relatively small, but his play was great last season and is even better in this campaign.

@Maverick41, why do you think this:

I really hope that he'll get an entry-level contract with a NHL team, even when he has to play in the AHL for an extended period of time. Everything else (like going back to Germany) would be a pure waste of talent imo, don't you think?

P.S.: Once again, thank you very much for this informative thread. I'm checking it daily and after you added some relevant informations about the players at the bottom of your post, this thread is even better.
Well, it seems to me that many NHL teams are sort of obsessed with size. They appear to be very skeptical of smaller players, especially goalies. Also there aren't that many goalie spots available in the NHL so it is already very difficult for any goalie to find a spot.

I hope some NHL team will give him another look, and if he makes a deep playoff run with the Colts, there is a good chance that happens, but even then it would still be a long way to go.

He might get an offer from an AHL team even if he is not signed by an NHL franchise. But the biggest issue will be how bad he wants this. Because, whether he is signed by an NHL team or an AHL team, he would surely make more money back in Europe. Other players before him have decided they'd rather take the money in Europe right now than gamble on some big payday in the NHL in a few years.

I don't know what plans Mathias has, but there are clearly still many obstacles in his way. I just think the odds of him making it all the way to the NHL are simply not that good at this point. Some years ago I was certain, that both Thomas Greiss and Timo Pielmeier would eventually play in the NHL. Pielmeier played 1 game in the NHL and is now playing in Landshut and next year in Ingolstadt. Greiss is an NHL goalie but with the number of games he is playing behind Niemi he might want to look for another job to pass the time.

Don't get me wrong, I think Niederberger is more talented than Pielmeier but for young goalies it is not just about talent and skill but also about being in the right place at the right time.

That being said I would be perfectly happy if he went on to play in KHL, Sweden or Finland, but i do hope he does not return to Germany to play in the DEL because I doubt could improve much in that league.

Maverick41 is online now   Reply With Quote