Old
03-04-2013, 08:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It comes down to managing assets. Is the potential of Daniel Brière's playoff strength for this season (questionable making the playoffs) and next plus his veteran leadership greater than the potential return (assuming he waives his NMC), the mediocre regular-season play we are seeing, his age-related regression in play plus the added cap space?
I think this pretty much sums it up. I don't necessarily think he should be dealt for peanuts or bought out, but I think he should be shopped. He has slowed in recent years, but his playoffs production is still there. He is also clearly a good leader and helps with the younger guys. I know people like to think that doesn't mean anything, but ask the guys who are living/have lived with him over the years how much that helped their development. I think his value could be higher come deadline time than many people think. A team desparate to make a playoff run (St. Louis, Phoenix) with a lot of youth to spare could overpay. Should be interesting when the deadline approaches. If the Flyers are in the thick of things which I think could go either way, Briere may be staying put regardless of his value/waiving NMC/whatever.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote