View Single Post
03-04-2013, 08:44 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Funny this was bumped. On TB's mailbox today he mentioned that the CFO of EA stated, a few days ago at a conference, that this Simpsons IOS game has made over $24 million in micro-transactions and because of it EA will now start implementing further micro-transactions into all games moving forward...
I find it really scary how successful the micro-transaction model is in modern gaming. How do people rack up these kind of bills buying little decorations or power-up items and not look at their credit card statements at the end of the month in horror?

One game I play online just released a new patch that allowed previously-purchased items to be leveled up. The catch was that you had to buy those same items again, potentially several times, at a whopping 20 bucks each. One guy in the forums was bragging he'd leveled his item up to level 4. I did the math and pointed out he spent one hundred dollars to do it. The thread was quickly yanked by forum moderators. Can't have the fools realize they're being ripped off.

Oh back on topic: I have Simpsons Tapped Out on my phone, but as with most of these games, refuse to get swindled by the micro-transactions. Kinda fun, but I'll lose interest in it soon enough I imagine.