View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Gillis traded away developed prospects just when they were breaking into the league. That is the issue with him.
So in other words you have no leg to stand on in arguing with my original comments?

Yes Mike Gillis traded away Michael Grabner, the trouble is Grabner had not cemented a spot in the league and was eligible for waivers.

Obviously he had upside and we could certainly use a player with Grabner's skill set who has realized his potential but that was a long shot here.

At the end of the day you have a win now team moving a prospect for whom the clock is ticking in exchange for (what should have been) a top four defenseman, that's a deal you make when you are a contender.

Nobody is going to argue that the Canucks won the Keith Ballard trade, but the timing was right for a move of that nature.

(As for Hodgson/Kassian, I'm not going to get into it much but Hodgson was traded for another high end young player so I don't really understand how you can make a "Gillis shouldn't trade young players" argument about that one.)

Quote:
Nonis didn't do that nor would he.
It's what cost him his job if you hadn't noticed. Dave Nonis built a one line team that won its division and a playoff round and then did absolutely nothing to address the reasons why it could not get further.

I guess he deserves credit for refusing to make a bad deal out of desperation (in his last season anyway, the way he pissed away high draft picks prior to that is pretty remarkable) but suffice to say he couldn't improve his team and it cost him his job.