View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
ChiTownPhilly

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ChiTownPhilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSC View Post
One of the hockey related research papers is "Total Hockey Rating (THoR): A comprehensive statistical rating of National Hockey League forwards and defensemen based upon all (sic) on-ice events" - and is a very interesting look at valuing players.

"Here we present a new comprehensive rating that accounts for other players on the ice will a give player as well as the impact of where a shift starts and of every non-shooting events such as (emphasis mine) turnovers and hits that occur when a player is on the ice.
I recognize the legal maxim that states "hard cases make bad law," but let me give you an example of one of the most memorable plays I've ever seen in person- and postulate that the metric described above has little way of taking the contribution into account.

Philadelphia v. up-and-coming Ottawa team. Legion of Doom line. Renberg carries in puck from R Wing. Lindros gets deep into the zone, and angles to L side, then cuts behind the net as if preparing to start a cycle. Two defenders give complete attention to Lindros, which leaves Renberg partially open, and John LeClair completely open. Cross-ice pass/score.

Now Lindros had more to do with that goal than any player... and he didn't even touch the puck...

I for Incomplete on the measurement attempt as given above. Needs to return to the shed for some overhaul work---

ChiTownPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote