Thread: Value of: JVR to Edmonton
View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 02:11 PM
cheesesteak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Welcome to HFboards, where a player's reputation never changes unless he has 3 or more consecutive amazing years.

JVR is still an inconsistent waste of a 2nd overall who will never put it together for a full season and Luke Schenn is still a horrendously slow bottom-pairing defenseman who gets routinely beaten around the outside.

Honestly though, I'm a Flyers fan and you do have yourself a beaut with JVR. He was amazing in the 10-11 playoffs, was again AMAZING over the first 19 games of the 11-12 season, where he was basically on a 35-35 pace and then the injuries started. He had already been dealing w/ hip issues and then he tore an abdominal muscle. He had just gotten back from that when he was concussed. Then he had just returned from that when he broke his foot. If he stays healthy (which is should), he will continue to be great for you. Certain Flyers fans just could never cope with the fact that JVR wasn't really "inconsistent", he was simply a young player who suffered a few injuries at the most inopportune times.

With that said, Luke Schenn has also been a beast for us and has played much better than advertised. He's been beaten around the outside maybe once all year (by JVR @ a meaningless point in our first meeting after you'd already locked up the win). He's leading the team in ES points, facing the toughest competition and still keeping opponents off the scoreboard. He's easily been our best defenseman.
I never said JVR was a waste of a 2nd overall who will always be inconsistent(I was never on board with trading him for Schenn and think he will be a really good player). Just a little quick to put him up there with Edmonton's golden assets or say he's matured into the #2 pick he was supposed to be...only 20 something games into a breakout season. Also that's a HUGE exageration to say JVR was AMAZING(in caps) to start last season. He was on pace for 30 goals but he looked lackluster. That was a positive to me though because he was on pace for 30 goals when he wasn't at his best. I think JVR started the season injured? Or there was rumors pretty quick and I sure as hell didn't give up on him he was injured the whole season.

When it comes to this trade i understand Toronto could make the playoffs so they wouldn't trade JVR for a top 10 pick but it's close to fair value at this time IMO. If JVR finishes this season off that could change.

BTW I am very happy with Schenn so far...I don't get the "so says the Flyers fan". It's not like Schenn is playing bad. The trade has really grown own me as someone who was against it. So far it's a win/win for both teams.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote