03-04-2013, 04:19 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Gomez gave us 70 pts, 58 pts and McD
Conclusion: Happy we gave him the deal
By this logic, you should also be happy for the mess that Bob Gainey's life became. I mean, maybe if he doesn't lose his daughter in an incredibly bizarre and unfortunate manner, he doesn't succumb to the pressure that forced an otherwise semi-competent man to make one of the worst transactions in the history of the NHL, achieving lows that only Mike Milbury and Glen Sather transactions usually do (like the signing of Scott Gomez by Sather).

And if that move doesn't happen, that incredible stroke of good luck in Sather's favor . . . is "ALS" Sather even any different from "BLS" Sather at all?

Quote:
Drury gave us 58 pts, 56 pts, before dropping all the way to 32 pts and then 5 pts in 25 games
So two solid years, two bad. He also gave us his heat and soul when he was here, he was the captain for a bit. Cally has many times credited Drury with bringing him along. So all in all, yeah it was too much money, but did it really prevent us from anything? I'm not sure that it did.
Conclusion: All in all, not a good deal. But not as bad as people often talk about it. Alright.
Amusing, because I recall you trashing Drury and questioning his heart and soul (maybe I'm thinking of someone else). As one of the few supporters of Drury here, I find this to be absurd. I love Drury, and consider him one of my favorite players of all-time. His tenure with the Rangers was a disaster. Not because of Chris Drury, mind you, but because he was drastically overpaid and expected by the geniuses that acquired him to fill a role he was completely wrong for.

Quote:
Redden, yeah this one sucked. But did it prevent us from doing anything? Again, I'm not too sure that it did. We buried him in the minors. It's Dolan's money, so whatever.
Conclusion: Bad contract, minimal impact on the team however. And find me a GM who spends money and doesn't have a bad contract ever. Hell, even teams that don't spend money have them (Icelanders DP?).
Yes, let's bring up the widely-accepted worst GM of all-time to make your argument. Why don't you find a GM that spends money and makes as many mistakes as Sather? Because I can name you a number of GMs that have achieved just as much success, if not more, without ever having to rely on luxuries and resources they don't have to get out of an endless stream of huge errors in judgment.

Quote:
So, yeah these deals get way more **** than they should.
These are three of the worst transactions in NHL history. Redden and Gomez are probably the two worst unrestricted free agent contracts ever handed out, and only the DP contract is worse than them in the realm of contracts in general.

To respond to your previous post, one year of success does not make up for 12 years of no success. If you consider 2006-2011 as success, then you have very low standards. I've been a diehard fan since 1993. Playoffs or not, 2007-2010 are easily my least favorite years as a Ranger fan. The team was, except for 3-4 players, unwatchable. It was some of the worst hockey I've ever had the misfortune of watching. The team was mediocre at best, and again, was saved from this hell in large part thanks to the incredible luck of Bob Gainey losing his mind.

Want to discuss the drafting? 13 years, not a single first line forward. No legit 1st line centers. I know Rick Nash has been playing very well for about a week now, but Rick Nash is not one of the top 5 forwards in the league. He's not one of the top 10 forwards in the league. IMO, he's not one of the top 15 forwards in the league. But he's one of the top 5 highest-paid players in the league, and his contract still has five years left on it. Richards not a great contract. But that's what happens when you don't draft and develop your own franchise players.

The jury is still out on Kreider and McIlrath.

So, yeah, I don't think "BLS" Glen Sather is all that different from "ALS" Sather.