View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 04:22 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
As much as like Drouin I would take Jones over him everyday of the week regardless of need. Franchise defensemen are a lot harder to come by than franchise wingers. There's a reason people are saying Jones is the best draft eligible defensemen since Pronger. That's just my opinion though.

It's odd to see Mackinnion drop to 3 compared to where he was last summer.
I totally get what you're saying. At the same time, I look to when Erik Johnson was drafted and scouts were saying the same thing about him (franchise defenseman, all the tools, best draft eligible defenseman since Pronger) and if you look how he's turned out, he's kind of been a disappointment. Defensemen, to me, are starting to become like goaltenders in that nobody really knows how they're going to turn out. Do you have a true number one or are you getting a good top four guy?

With that being said, comparing Jones to Drouin really is an apples and oranges thing. If Columbus is choosing first overall, do they take Jones, where they've got a loaded blue line full of talent, or do they take Drouin, where they really need the offense? It's a very interesting scenario.