Thread: Player Discussion: Brad Richards
View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 04:24 PM
shinchanyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Let's assume the Rangers trade him before the 2014/15 season. Up until that point Rangers would have paid him $33 Million in actual salary while incurring a cumulative cap hit of $20 Million. Lets assume Richards retires after the 2016/17 season. He'd be 37, making only $1 Million a season. The Rangers would be forced to carry a cap penalty equal to the difference between those two numbers over the duration of the years left on his contract. That's $13 Million / 3, or $4.33 Million cap penalty per year for three years.

I think I'd rather just use the Rangers second compliance buyout on him than worry about all the possible cap penalty possibilities.
4.33...hmmm... But what if it's a 1st and Sven? Sven is cheap for at least another few years with the ELC and thatg high high first would do wonders. Both ELC's added to 4.33 still wouldn't likely be 6.6 mil. And it doesn't have to be Calgary. Just thinking out loud I have no prob with a buyout we do need the cap for resigning guys so it prob wouldn't work...then again he'd also have to retire immediately