View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 06:50 PM
hitmen19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
The fact that Canada shamelessly considers this one of the great hockey moments in the history of their country is very much a shame. I've seen several documentaries on the Summit Series and every time they talk about this slash, Clarke not only says he doesn't regret it, but he does so with a smile on his face. And not more than 2 minutes after they showed a clip where Phil Esposito whines about a Soviet trying to step on a Canadians' achilles a.l.a. Cooke on Karlson. In fact, the only Canadian I've ever seen in any documentary re: 1972 criticize Clarke was Paul Henderson...who happened to score the series winning goal.

It's typical Canada: they win, and they're the greatest, even if they had to intentionally break an opponent's ankle to get there. If they lose, their opponent must have cheated. I mean, what other explanation could there be for all-mighty Canada losing, right?

Let's face it: we're talking about a country that's in serious denial about their place in the hockey world. No one can reasonably dispute they are #1...in fact, when you consider talent level, depth, accomplishments at the international level, and percentage of players at the NHL level, any reasonable person would say Canada is #1. But, only Canadians are unwilling to admit that other countries are getting closer and closer to knock them off that perch. This country is so desperate to cling to their place as the undispute kings of hockey that they'll make any excuse and any justification when they don't win.

What Bobby Clarke did was a disgrace, but the fact Canada considers it one of their greatest hockey monents is an even bigger disgrace (the other three: Henderson's series winning goal, Crosby's OT goal in 2010, and the Gretzky-to-Lemieux goal that won the 1986 Canada Cup (which, by the way, should never have counted given there was an obvious hook at center ice by Canada on a Soviet defender which a Canadian referee suspisciously didn't call). When Canada and Russia were playing actual hockey in the Summit Series, the Soviets dominated. When Canada decided playing hockey wasn't working and decided to turn it into a professional wrestling on ice, that's when they started winning. They couldn't win with talent, the could only win by "gooning" it up.

Clarke cheated. That he still smiles and laughs about it today and had no regrets, which is the same attitude most Canadians have about that monet, is dispicable.

Ban me if you don't like hearing the truth.
Really? I haven't ever heard one person complain about losing in Nagano that the czech's cheated, or anybody ever saying in 96 that the USA cheated, or in 06 torino, anybody ever claiming that it anything but a horrendous showing. Can you provide the proof, that Canadians made any such claims regarding cheating by the other team. These are the only example of Canada losing at the best on best level, as we have won all the others.

Second, Canada's talent and the worlds was considerably larger and is shrinking everyday. Again I would ask you to provide any proof that any Canadian has ever said it isn't, Everyone admits that the hockey talent in the world has caught up. it just makes the wins that much more satisfying. Please don't make sensational claims without proof.

Third, the summit series was a huge moment, and larger then a hockey series back in 72 because of where the world was. It was just as much as a communist vs free world thing back then. In the years since, has the slash diminished the hockey result. most definetly, it has. Has it diminished it in the context of what it meant to the country in 1972, as a east vs west, US vs them, no it hasn't.

Last edited by hitmen19: 03-04-2013 at 07:04 PM.