View Single Post
03-04-2013, 06:38 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
I still believe overall Gillis has done more good than bad, although there's been more bad piling up in the last 2 seasons.

My main comment on Gillis pertains more towards all the AV bashing going on right now. I keep seeing all the blame being placed on AV for the Canucks being a "boring" team. I'm no great fan of AV, but are you guys actually serious?

Gillis made a very clear decision both after the 2010 loss to the Blackhawks in the second round and the 2011 loss to change the composition of the roster. In 2 seasons:

Demitra, Wellwood, Ehrhoff, Samuelsson, Salo

Malhotra, Hamhuis, Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, Garrison

Gillis unloaded the 'soft' skill player and puck moving D-men and replaced them with north-south two-way forwards and defensive d-men who are still solid offensively.

What did people expect? Gillis clearly made the decision to rely on getting offense from the Sedin's, the D and some solid but unspectacular forward depth while grinding things out and relying on great goaltending. AV is playing the hand the GM dealt him. This is not a roster with lots of high end skill. It's the Sedin's and an army of good grinders. Get used to watching this style of hockey, it's what Gillis wants.

I'm not saying he's wrong to build the team this way, but he did and fans should look to him if they don't enjoy watching this team.
so Gillis is going back to a more defensive system ? Aka Nonis's system

He went over kill with the loss of raw skill. No Demitra , Hodgson or Grabner replacement. No Samuelson, or sundin.