View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 09:02 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
so you're saying that strachan, kuba and weaver played better hockey than he did? c'mon man. he wasn't ever given a real chance. tallon and dineen may have their reasons but from where i sit, he's a better option than any of those guys and the value of a young, cheap and good Dman to a team like us (hell, any team) should be way more than a 5th round pick. that should've counted for something as well.

i agree. never said he was irreplaceable, just that he held much more value for us as a cheap, young, good Dman than any of those other guys who make more (probably even through ellerby's next contract) and will be gone in 1-2 years. and i still say he has some upside as a puck mover (not really in terms of point generation).

when you consider he played at least well if not better than most of them, the decision to dump him looks rather questionable.

anyhow, enough about ellerby. i do have a nagging feeling tho that it might be part of a larger problem where better value is going the other way, out of florida. i turned on the Bs and habs last night and who was on the ice with 30 seconds left when the (now) 14-3-2 Bs needed a goal? yep - horton and campbell. and they've already got a ring there. what do we have to show for that trade? howden? yeah, i know - horton didn't want to be here blah blah blah. i don't really buy that crap, tbh (not that he didn't say trade me but that it was the correct approach in the first place to ask that question).

back to weiss, i feel bad for him, really - this was the year he's been waiting for and it ends up being a turd of a year with everyone being hurt, goaltending falling apart and him dealing with what must be some kind of nagging injury. i'm thinking he might actually consider resigning a one year deal to get a do-over.
The problem with Horton, much like the problem with Weiss, is not what he was, but what he wasn't. He wasn't a difference maker - wasn't a star - wasn't a special player.

I'm not arguing that a better trade couldn't have been made, but I don't think these Panthers would be a substantially better team with Nathan Horton on it. Getting Bjugstad, Rau & Racine in exchange is certainly not something to sneeze at. Campbell needed to go - as one of DeBoer's favorites, he always seemed to get ice time that exceeded his performance on ice. He is currently 2-2-4 (minus 3) and is another player who simply does not make a difference.

I can understand your criticisms and I like the fact that you look at things with a jaded eye. Certainly not all of Tallon's moves have been golden. On the other hand I think you tend to gloss over a lot of the deficiencies and problems with previous regimes. (i.e. ignoring the fact that DeBoer treated Ellerby in the same fashion... pointing out that Martin drafted Markstrom in 2008 but neglecting that he traded the first round pick (#10) and 2 seconds for Vokoun and drafted Ellerby/Repik/Dadanov in the 2007 draft)

It makes me wonder if you are simply trying to be a contrarian rather than engage in meaningful discourse.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 03-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote