View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I still don't get why the 29 other teams would never use their best defensive line against what has been the Habs best offensive line since 2 seasons now. It's not like the Habs coaching staff always had the last word in it! And I don't think the 29 other coaching staffs are dumb enough to put their 4th line against them on a regular basis. I have a hard time believing this.

Actually, the best defensive line of a team is often the 3rd. So I wouldn't be surprised if DD's line often have to face this line. You may see it as being "sheltered" because it's a "bottom line". But I'm pretty sure that other teams are wise enough to place their best defensive players against them now.

By the way, you may use the word "sheltered" this way, but many other DD's detractors here kept arguing that he could only succeed if he was being "sheltered" between 2 big wingers, which he is now proving to be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I don't want to get too involved in the DD/sheltered argument, but I see the bolded statement every once in a while, and I don't believe it to be true. To use the Habs and a few recent opponents as examples, Plekanec, Bergeron, Crosby and Grabovsky center the best defensive lines on their respective teams, none of them being a 3rd line. You could do this excercise throughout the league, I doubt you would find many 3rd lines that are their teams' top defensive lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
But still, if the stats we use to show that DD is "sheltered" is that he's not facing the other teams top offensive line, then it's skewed because the top offensive line is not necessarily the top defensive line. I would even argue that on most teams, it's not the case at all.

Let's pick any player from any other team. Would we say he is "sheltered" if he's not facing the Habs best offensive line, which is DD's line? Of course not, because defensively, it's far from being the most effective. But if the stats that is being used to show that DD is sheltered is built on this model, then it's not valid for very obvious reasons.
If you look at the play by play report from last night, Desharnais’ line mostly played against Kelly’s line and Zdeno Chara. This phenomenon is repeating itself since last season: our opponents are sending their top D pairing and a sound two ways line against Desharnais, Pacioretty and Cole/Gallagher. Some people call it, playing against the Chara of this world, “weak” opposition.

That said, an alert coach would not send them against our opponent top offensive line; that’s Plekanec’s job.

Ref.: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/PL020316.HTM

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote