View Single Post
Old
03-04-2013, 10:14 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Pretty much everyone here are being specific about the SECOND PERIOD, and whereas I agree that we controlled the third period really well for the majority, you and M4WZ are (willfully?) being blind little mice if you do not see how easily Tampa came to great chances in the second - as well as a couple of times in the first .

I do not say this to hype Fleury's performance, because to be honest he did no more than we should expect (and when he does that and gets a W, I will always give him a plus).
Rather, I say it because it is the same pattern continuing, where we we just lack basic structural integrity. We own the territorial advantage, as well as creating more shots and chances, in most hockey games (that was also true against the Flyers last spring, all games but one).
But we do so by taking too many risks, and paying too little attention to defensive support. That goes (for instance) for D-men stepping up while forwards are not picking up assignments to allow that; it goes for forwards being off to the races as a group leaving consistently occurring 3 on 2s when the breakout pass does not connect, it goes for defenders boxing out too aggressively or following forwards behind the net with their D-partner and low forwards not getting to the front of the net... and just lots of details not being attended to.

I am not saying this doesn't happen on other teams, but it happens a horrible lot on the Pens, and it is negating the skating advantage our D has on most teams in the league.
Choir says 'hi'.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote