Old
03-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Here is the money quote:

"I believe in fast hockey, I believe in quick hockey, not only in terms of skating, but thinking and the instincts for the game," he said. "Character, heart and instincts and hockey sense are going to be the key things we're going to be looking at when we're scouting players, whether it's pros or amateurs. Because I think that translates best to fast hockey."

I like his focus on thinking and instincts, and looking for players who can process the game at high speed. I have a pet theory that guys like Filatov struggle because they can't process the game at nhl speed. I think you can see it when guys have great shots, passes and speed in practice but can't ever put it together in nhl game situations - they look much slower because they are constantly out of position and slow to react.
The bolded would basically indicate a continuation of the Howson method, which in itself is what Detroit focused on during their prime years of drafting.

Filatov's issue wasn't seeing and processing the ice, it was actually doing anything except for skating around the perimeter and trying to go through an entire team.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote