View Single Post
Old
03-05-2013, 01:11 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
NYT: Bargaining for Rights in Exchange for NHL in Olympics (UPD: Daly in Sochi)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/sp...pics.html?_r=0

Quote:
The talks hinge on one overarching issue: whether the N.H.L. can extract extra rights and considerations from the I.O.C. and the I.I.H.F. in exchange for suspending business for two weeks at midseason and risking injury to its players.

But the I.O.C. and the I.I.H.F. are believed to be reluctant to grant such concessions. It could set a precedent for other professional leagues that send players to the Olympics to ask for similar deals.
Officials have not disclosed the full list of what the N.H.L. is seeking, but the league is known to want the right to use Olympic video on the NHL Network, NHL.com and other league platforms. The N.H.L. is currently not allowed to use such videos. That means the clip of Sidney Crosby’s gold-medal-winning goal for Canada against the United States at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics has never been shown on an N.H.L. Web site, television show or arena scoreboard.

The N.H.L. may also be seeking some form of financial compensation or increased perquisites for participating in the Olympics. René Fasel, the president of the I.I.H.F., said in 2011 that such an arrangement was out of the question.

“The money should not be an issue because the issue is solved,” Fasel said then. “We do not have any money, and it is very easy.”

Fasel is a member of the I.O.C. executive board and president of the group of seven Olympic winter sports federations that receives a large share of revenues from the Winter Olympics. Last month, he and Bettman met in New York for two days with Richard Carrión, the chairman of the I.O.C. finance commission and a member of the I.O.C. marketing and television rights and new media commissions.
Would it really be the end of the world if they received the rights to highlights from Olympics broadcasts?

I think the NHL does want some money, and seeing how huge of a draw men's ice hockey is for the Winter Games-- I don't blame them for trying to get a cut. The risk and cost to NHL teams is not insignificant.