View Single Post
Old
03-05-2013, 02:34 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Glass was good - as a 4th liner. When AV used him for a role not suited for him - that's when he was bad. Kind of like Aaron Rome.
In all seriousness, I remember often he would be the best player on the 4th line - and that wasn't good, considering who his linemates were. In a vacuum, I think he was decent though. Also, playing him injured in the playoffs did nothing for us offensively.

In a way, I think me2 is right that we could've kept Grabner if we really wanted. It was just this whole 'goal-scorers don't belong on the 3rd line' mentality (wonder who convinced MG of this line of thinking ), and by extension the bottom 6 as a whole. Not great for our depth scoring, but by no means would his absence have been a deciding factor anyway when the playoff injuries hit as they were simply too much to overcome.

But factor in Grabner's known propensity for having poor work ethic and it spelled the end for him in Vancouver regardless. In another universe, I'd like to think they could have made room for another speedy winger who was like Grabs but with work ethic to go with his skill - a universe where we win the Cup having a healthy team and a 4th line of Higgins, Lapierre and a hard-working Grabner clone. I mean, we ended up dressing Victor freaking Oreskovich on the RW because we literally had nobody else...