Old
03-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
I have seen enough of Moulson to form an opinion on him. I just don't completely agree with your take on it. While I do agree that he has solid hockey sense and is often in the right place at the right time, much more of his success has come from riding on the coattails of Johan Tavares. Moulson creates virtually no offense by himself, as he's not a great skater or puck handler. So many of his goals come from a guy like Tavares putting the puck right on his tape for him to tap in or off rebounds of John Tavares' making a move to the net and shooting. Moulson is the type of guy who puts up 30 goals on a bad team because he gets a ton of ice time playing with John Tavares and on the PP. You put him on a good team like the Kings, where the opponent doesn't take you lightly on a consistent basis (unlike the Islanders), and Moulson isn't nearly as impressive. I'd say John Tavares has made Moulson look better than he really is because of the stat sheet. People see 30 goals for three straight years and get excited. It's similar to the Joe Thornton and Cheechoo/Setoguchi situation. Take those guys away from Thornton and you see what marginal players they really are. You take Tavares away from Moulson and he struggles to score 20.

His defensive game, physicality, and game away from the puck leave a lot to be desired. I don't think he'd be as good of a fit on this team as you suggest.
EDIT: Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you didn't know enough about Moulson, I was just curious. No offense meant.

Would he post the same numbers? Probably not. But you can't have a team of the same type of guys, you need complementary players. Moulson is the type that can simply produce with other guys. He is just sneakily deadly, he is the guy I always watch when I watch the Islanders since he just seems to come out of nowhere to score all the time. He just has unreal hockey sense. He is the ultimate complementary player, and you need that.

Cheechoo is not a terrible comparaison really. Did anybody else come close to producing the same numbers with Thornton? No, because he was a bit of a similiar player, just knew where to be on the ice. People forget he put up 28 goals in 03-04 before Thornton, then 37 goals in 06-07 before injuries completely ruined his ability to skate at all. He gets a bad rap, ironically for being so good one year.

You need playmakers and you need guys who can complement playmakers. Moulson and even Cheechoo was a complementary player, but IMO that hockey sense to find the dead areas is the ONE thing you simply cannot teach a player. You tell when players are 9-10 years old who knows where to be on the ice to score, and who doesn't. And that simply does not EVER change.

Call players like Moulson leaches if you will, but the fact remains is that you put different players in that role and they simply do not produce like him. They know how to score.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-05-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote