View Single Post
Old
03-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
The problem with Horton, much like the problem with Weiss, is not what he was, but what he wasn't. He wasn't a difference maker - wasn't a star - wasn't a special player.

I'm not arguing that a better trade couldn't have been made, but I don't think these Panthers would be a substantially better team with Nathan Horton on it. Getting Bjugstad, Rau & Racine in exchange is certainly not something to sneeze at. Campbell needed to go - as one of DeBoer's favorites, he always seemed to get ice time that exceeded his performance on ice. He is currently 2-2-4 (minus 3) and is another player who simply does not make a difference.

I can understand your criticisms and I like the fact that you look at things with a jaded eye. Certainly not all of Tallon's moves have been golden. On the other hand I think you tend to gloss over a lot of the deficiencies and problems with previous regimes. (i.e. ignoring the fact that DeBoer treated Ellerby in the same fashion... pointing out that Martin drafted Markstrom in 2008 but neglecting that he traded the first round pick (#10) and 2 seconds for Vokoun and drafted Ellerby/Repik/Dadanov in the 2007 draft)

It makes me wonder if you are simply trying to be a contrarian rather than engage in meaningful discourse.
This! Very well said.

In response to Ellerby, again, he didn't do it. He didn't edge out Strachan, who shouldn't have been a threat, instead he made Ellerby expendable. There's no way around that.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote