View Single Post
Old
03-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Just doing my part, I see where you're coming from too.

The point of that breakdown was to illustrate that we are better with Kaberle than without for this season. I don't believe moving him for a pick is something we should look to do (unless that pick is really good, of course)...rather I think we should hang onto him and compliance buyout in the summer. It'll cost Molson more $$$, but it'll make us a better team in the short-run and increase our spending capability in the long-run.

That assumes we don't get good offers for Kaberle - if we do, then by all means, trade him. But I'd rather keep him than deal him for a 4th rounder.
Well, I would of course wait and see how the health of the team is in the week before the trade deadline, anyway. Concussions are tricky, and the deadline is like 4 weeks away. I'm assuming Diaz is back, but who knows, and who knows what other injuries might come up in the meantime.

I'd keep Kaberle over a 4th rounder if there was actually a long-term injury on the books at the time.

But... if the team was back to full health on the blueline... maybe I would just need to know a little more about the books and have Mr. Molson's input. $3M feels like a lot of money to me. Not enough to stop me from buying out Kaberle in the summer anyway if there *isn't* a trade available for him. But if there is a trade available... and given we do have some other band-aids on D (Weber, even unready guys in the minors or St-Denis if it came down to it), I'm just guessing the trade would be a "go", be it for a 4th, 5th, 7th 2015, whatever, as a way of saving $3M on the team's bottom line.