View Single Post
Old
07-23-2006, 09:34 AM
LeMAD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
I have not eaten poutine in about 20 years, nor do I miss it. I think that this is why Montreal has kicked me out.

As a French Canadian, it bugs me that this is this dish for which we are known above all. Not much of a culinary tradition, when in fact there are some traditional Quebec dishes worth promoting. There are not many in relation to France (until lately, in large part due to a recent rapprochement with the French), because Quebec settlers had relatively few ingredients in relation to France, and also largely missed on an evolution in cooking in France, namely when Auguste Escoffier influenced cooking there in the 19th century. But still, there is more out there (cipaille, tourtiere du Lac St-Jean, various forms of game: deer, etc.). Sorry for sounding elitist, but this stuff trumps poutine for me.
Agreeing on this one, and I would add that Québec is developping it's own "haute cuisine" which in the past was greatly influenced by France, but has now developped it's own identity. And I'm certainly not an elitist (I also like a good poutine), but poutine is to food what "Québec Érotique" is to litterature (I like boobs too).

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote