View Single Post
Old
03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky View Post
mY favorite is The Game of OUr Lives by Peter Gzowski.

For fun, fast reads, the Esposito Book, the Tiger Williams one, etc are a good time. Some of the Gretzky books are okay, the Tim Horton one was pretty good. Cracked Ice was pretty good and I can't normally stomach Fishcler. I read one on Brian Spencer that was pretty good. Roy MacGregor wrote one about fathers and sons in hockey, that was engaging.

I will go off the mainline view on Dryden's The Game. I have said this before, but will say it again. It is the most self-absorbed piece of melancholia I have ever read. It tries so hard to be cereberal and poignant that it misses the story of one of hockey's great clubs that its bright goaltender could have spun..

I think (and I'm not trying to be obnoxious) that readers have heard for so long what a great book it is and what a smart guy Kend Dryden is, that they convince themselves it was some sort of revelation, when really it's just a bunch of hockey stuff turned into marshmallow when he tried to make it so damned smart. Just tell the story, folks. It's hockey.
The bolded is awesome. Definitely worth reading.

The Game by Dryden is good but I agree that it is overrated.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote