12-21-2003, 06:02 AM
stanley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Handzus I really think might move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
I also think Handzus may go for a goalie...
I'm not buying this bridge for a few reasons:

1) Clarke likes big centers. He traded Brind'Amour to get big up the middle, and I don't think his recently developed love of speed means he's decided to overhaul his lineup. Handzus logged over 23 minutes yesterday, and has received ringing endorsements from Clarke and Hitchcock. It's easy to discount a player when he's not scoring as many goals as he can, but Handzus contributes is so many more important ways for the team that I have doubts he'd be moved.

2) The plan at the beginning of the year was to sign Hackett to be Esche's backup. So far, Esche has done nothing to change this plan. Hackett has been really good up until recently, and I can point to poor defense in several situations. Nevertheless, he hasn't always been good recently when they've needed him. Still, I don't think he's worn out his welcome at all. He's a veteran and I think favorable references from people like Hextall hold a great deal of water with Clarke. Again, reaction to Hackett's poor moments would bring the hammer down on Esche, not Hackett.