Thread: Marian Gaborik
View Single Post
Old
03-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Tikkanese

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
It's a mystery, it really is. No matter who we've brought in it's sucked. Coaching? Management? Players? Maybe all three, who knows.

Want my personal opinion? They have to stop passing so much, and start shooting and keep moving.
The problem on the PP is movement (or lack thereof). Watch the other teams, particularly those with decent PPs or better, e.g. above league average. Only one player stays put, and he's in front of the net. All 4 other players change position, slide up and down the boards, rotate, etc. It makes the PKers work hard, and opens them up to blown coverages. The Rangers stand in their little 6' x 6' boxes at their 5 positions and try to pass it around everyone on the other team and into the net. And so they're easy to scout and plan against.

Since this has been true since I've been watching the Rangers regularly (going on 13 years now), it has to have been infectious between a) player evaluation and b) coaching philosphy. Whether under Renney or Torts (don't get me started on Trottier...), we have disdained the point shot and the coordinated net attacks that other teams use with success, and we have assembled a team which lacks the people to execute those strategies.

One thing I did notice on Sunday night was that the PP really moved after Richards got hit by Kaleta and had to miss a few shifts. I'm not a Richards hater, but I do think it might be time to try some other guys out there for the PP for a while and make Brad earn his way back on with creative play. Maybe some of the younger guys will be willing to skate hard to make something happen. Too bad we can't have two Hagelins and two Callahans out with DZ on the PP.