View Single Post
03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Thanks for sharing this. The valuations and thinking behind it I think are pretty smart, not a lot of odd choices. One quibble I'd make, and maybe this is just me, but I'm always hungry for more actual scouting details in the writeups. Take Jones for example how good is he on the breakout, head man passes, on the boards, gap control, etc... Instead there is typical scout filler:

"Seth Jones made headwaves during the Summer of 2012 as the former US U18 Captain deliberated "

I'd still take this over hockeysfuture, so don't take it personally.
Thanks for the input. These blurbs are just that - blurbs. Our real work comes right before the draft, when we do a "30 in 30"; we count down from 30, and profile all of our top-30 prospects in the 30 days leading up to the draft. That's when we give exactly what you're asking for. As for other prospects (particularly those in the WHL), feel free to ask and I will gladly provide information.

For example, I would say that Seth Jones is superb on the breakout, with a great first stride that leads to a confident, accurate first pass. Along the boards he isn't a physical beast, but he uses his size, strength, and positioning to come away with the puck more often than not. Gap control is also excellent, hardly ever gets beat one-on-one.

We know our stuff, we just do our best on limited resources. We'd been working on this list for close to three weeks! Again, thanks for the input, it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Nicolas Petan is +61 in 66 games.

I don't love the +/- stat, but holy cow +61!
Portland is a very, very good team

Petan is playing incredibly right now, really brought his game up this year and developed quicker than a lot of people were expecting. All that said, think of him as a Matt Calvert type of player - temper expectations, perhaps he can be a middle-6 forward.