Thread: Friedman: Gaborik Might Be Available
View Single Post
Old
03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
Honestly the only star that I'd really be eager to trade is Richards. He has been flatout awful this year.

I think NYR should try and slowly transition between Richards & Gaborik to another duo.
It would likely involve trading Gaborik and buying out Richards who has a full NMC.
I'd look to move Richards too. No question that Gaborik has been more valuable during his tenure here. It's going to be tough to move Richards with a $6.6 million cap hit, with the term he has, and the type of production he has put out.

A lot of teams would be interested in a $7.5 million multiple 40 goal scorer. I wouldn't make trade Gaborik myself. Our depth is already shallow with "top end" talent. You move Gaborik for a 2nd liner / 3rd liner and a draft pick and you make the team worse. Perhaps if you can get two top-6 forwards and a high end pick you think about it. The bottom line is, besides Nash, he's the only pure goal scorer on the team. If Nash got injured, or vice versa, the team would be screwed.

The Rangers wouldn't move Gaborik without getting a legitimate goal scorer in return. And if they're just swapping goal scorers, what's the point?

Furthermore, Gaborik has proven he can make it in NY. He just finished in the top-5 in goals last season with 41, and his first season here he finished with 42 goals and finished top-10 in points. He's a proven commodity in NY, a tough area to play with big expectations. You don't move a proven commodity like that without a significant return. Once Gaborik finds his stride again, in terms of putting the puck in the net, he will show why he is an elite sniper in the game. And elite snipers like Gaborik are few and far between.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote